Header image
PRESERVING THE PA DUTCH CULTURE
   
   
line decor
  
line decor

 
Share |
 
Grist Mills in Lynn Township
By: Edgar W. Kern

The description of the early grist mills forms a valuable part of the industrial history of the township.

Eleven mills, six on the Ontelaunee Creek and five on the Switzer Creek.

The first mill was built in 1750. Prior to 1750, the settlers had to bring flour and chop by horseback or wagon to the area from Bethlehem or Oley.

The six mills on the Ontelaunee were as follows: Hoben, Bausch, Smith, Greenawald and Rex. The waters of the Ontelaunee Creek flow into the Schuylkill River and the waters of the Switzer Creek flow into the Jordan Creek and then to the Lehigh River, two different water sheds.

Saeger Mill
Daniel Saeger embarked in the milling business in 1811 and erected a large two story mill with basement in New Tripoli, than Saegersville near the main thoroughfare. Water was supplied from a dam 1000 feet to the Northeast. A frame icehouse was erected at the breast of the dam in 1903 by the Honorable James A. Miller, for storing ice with a capacity of 200 tons.

Oswald Mill
Oswald Mill

Oswald Mill
A landmark near New Tripoli was build by Samuel Kistler in 1816. It is a large stone building 40x60 feet, three and a half stories high. Christian Kistler hauled the stone by wagon from the Blue Mountain. On November 20, 1891, Sylvanus Oswald purchased it and operated for many years. Actually it was the second mill at that place. The first stood across the road from the present building. It was built of logs by Conrad Kershner and was one of the earliest mills in the district and was located one-mile southwest of New Tripoli on the Ontelaunee Creek.

Mosser Mill
Was first a log building erected by Philip Mosser before 1800 on the north branch of the Ontelaunee at Mosserville. The Mosser family also had a tannery and sawmill at the same location. A two story stone mill replaced the original mill after 1817. The mill was in the Mosser family for over 100 years. The mill was operated by the family until 1949 by Granville Snyder and his son Lewis. Granville had married Lewis Mosser's daughter, Annie.

Mosser Mill
Mosser Mill
Mosser Mill
Oswald Mill
Bennighoff's Mill

Bennighoff's Mill
Formerly Reitz's Mill, is situated on the Ontelaunee, east of Lynnport. Peter Bennighoff built a powder mill at the place in 1834 and operated it several years, when Joans Reitz became the owner. In 1840 he tore down the powder mill and built a two-story grist mill. He operated a distillery at the same location. During 1889-1890 a frame building 30x50 feet was erected by John Ulrich and in 1903 Albert Benninghoff purchased the mill and operated it for many years. It was equipped with roller process.

Snyder Mill
Was erected by Jacob Wanamaker, Sr. prior to 1829. It was a two-story building situated along the Ontelaunee at Lynnport. It was destroyed by fire about 1900. The place laid idle for several years when it was bought by Elihu Billig, who build a frame mill, including a cider press and carried on business at that location for many years. Mr. Billig sold this business to Howard Hartman who operated it until his death in 1938. His son, Carl Hartman, took over and operated the mill until 1982 when it was closed.

Snyder Mill
Snyder Mill
Snyder Mill

Wanamaker Mill
Located at Wanamaker Station by Christian Wanamaker in 1825 and was operated by the Wanamaker family until 1878. In 1866 Daniel Wanamaker tore down the original mill and erected in its place a large three-story brick structure which was then one of the finest mills in this section of the country. Wellington Griesemer followed by Benjamin Lutz were successive owners until 1900 when Henry Kistler purchased the mill and operated the mill successfully for many years. Roller process was introduced by Lutz about 1890.

Related article: Grist Mills in Heidelberg Township

Source of the some data, 1914 History of Lehigh County.

 
 

 
 
The Lynn-Heidelberg Historical Society is a registered 501(c)3 organization.